Friday, August 14, 2009

Sarah Palin

As my readers will know, I was on vacation when Sarah Palin announced that she would step down as Governor of Alaska before her term expired. I gather this created quite a fuss. I wrote back then that I would comment on Ms. Palin later. Well, that time has now come.

First, let me address the concern that Sarah Palin is a "quitter" and should have served out her full term. What do I make of this charge? My basic position, which I apply to Sarah Palin and all others who leave their positions in mid-term for "greener pastures" elsewhere, is that this is the wrong thing to do. Absent some pretty compelling personal reasons for being unable to live up to the commitments one has taken on, one should fulfil them. Thus, Sarah Palin should have served out her term of office.

Having said that, I want to make it clear that I feel the same way about those in both the private and public sectors who quit jobs mid-term to advance their own careers elsewhere. In my domain, for example, it is very common for Senior Administrators, such as Deans, Vice-Presidents, and Presidents, who have taken on defined terms of office, to use these positions as launching pads for better positions elsewhere. Thus, after extensive searches, costing tens of thousands of dollars, universities are put back in the position of having to replace these fleeing persons. Do we call them "quitters"? No - we praise them for their skills in career advancement and celebrate their departures. The losing university takes "pride" in the fact that their people are of such high quality that they are recruited to go elsewhere.

This happens frequently as well in the public service. Those elected as Senators, or Governors, for example, do not hesitate to seek "higher" office when the opportunity presents itself. The American administration, from the top down, is full of them.

Now one will counter this latter point by arguing that first, these people have no choice since they do not dictate the timing of their departures, and second, that they still are serving the public, but only differently than before. True enough. But take Sarah Palin. Why did she leave when she did and not wait it out? Well, I do not know Ms. Palin so she did not let me know. But I speculate that she felt that she could be more effective for her causes and have more influence in determining American policy if she were out of the Governorship of Alaska. Yes, she could have waited, but perhaps she felt that there was an urgency at this time in American history, given the state of the country and her conservative base. No - she was not leaving for another public service "job", but in her mind at least perhaps the cause she had to leave for was just as important. And there is little doubt now that this is the task which Sarah Palin has embarked upon.

Second, I remain fascinated by the obsession others have with Sarah Palin, especially that she is now private citizen Sarah Palin. Okay - when she was a Vice Presidential candidate, especially when the head of the ticket was a 72 year old guy, I can see why her policies, background, experiences would be of concern. But now? The USA has lots of problems which are not being dealt with well by elected officials. Surely what these people think and do is a lot more important than Sarah Palin's comings and goings, her speeches, where she appears and so on.

There are some things I liked about Ms Palin, especially when she was a Vice Presidential candidate. I thought she energized a flagging campaign and gave McCain, a very decent, courageous and experienced man, a better chance to become President. She was fresh, different, and ready to take things on. Did I like all of her policies or views? No, but she was not running to be President. Would she have made a great President if anything happened to McCain? Probably not. I resented the unfair attacks on her and her family, the media's hypocrisy and double standards, and the sexism. But that is now water under the bridge. I have moved on. Have you?

1 comment:

  1. ...I can't blame her for leaving given the attacks against her personally and her family. Sometimes there are limits, and who can blame her for seeking out the 'greener pastures' that will include speaking engagements that will earn her millions. Despite the attacks on her credentials, Obama's limited legislative and executive experience was little better. In terms of 'moving on' - she has a certain constituency and will likely continue to play a role in conservative American politics.

    ReplyDelete