Saturday, September 19, 2009

Polarization In Washington

Anyone who has been following the health care reform debate in the U.S. will be aware of how deeply divided and polarized the United States currently is. The debate has gone from discussing the issues of health care reform to analyzing the motives of those who are opposed to parts of the reform. There are some, like former President Carter, who attribute racism to some, if not much, of the opposition. The media of course loves this. Discussing racism is much more interesting to viewers than going through the provisions of a 200 plus health care reform bill. So the same panelists are dragged out every night on CNN ( David Gergen, James Carville, Mark Williams, Roland Martin etc.) to engage in a "knock em out, sock it out" argument about racist Americans. It's like a school yard fight. Students are much more interested in watching the fight and cheering on the combatants, then paying attention to reading, writing and arithmetic.

I find the racism charge somewhat overblown. Of course there are some persons in the United States who are racist and who do not like the President for this reason alone. This is similar to the argument that there are some people who are anti-Semites and who do not like Israel for this reason alone. But the argument that all criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic is akin to the argument that all of those who oppose the President are racist. The fact that the President was elected by millions of white Americans and had a personal approval rating of close to 70% at one point seems to belie the racist theory. Did their approval of the President drop about 20 points because these people suddenly became racists or are they simply not happy with the President's performance?

There might be several reasons for the current polarization in the United States and it is undoubtedly not a new phenomenon. I would suggest one possible reason, and it is something I have commented upon before. It is President Obama's own rhetorical style or message. If you have been a follower of President Obama both during the primaries, the campaign and now his Presidency, you will realize that a major talking point of his is "change". Well change from what? To paraphrase the President from a variety of his speeches (and I do this from memory) it is change from the "failed policies and phoney arguments of the past". It is about cleaning house, getting rid of the " corrupt culture of Washington", getting rid of "corruption", "special interest group influence", lobbyists, tired old politics as usual, old distractions, political games, and so on. It is about "repairing" America's image abroad, and undoing the mistakes of the past. It's about fixing the disasters "inherited" from those who have gone before.

Now if you happen to be one of those people responsible for the bad old America, you are unlikely to take these comments well. If you were part of the previous Administration, or even part of the earlier Congress, which got America into its mess, you are unlikely to be pleased. If the President was looking for your support in fixing all the things that you had broken, he can forget it. As a previous administrator, I can tell you that the last thing you want to hear from your successor is how terrible a job you did and how the institution you led is now corrupt, bankrupt, and in need of major repair.

There is another way of course. You can be a bit more humble, gracious and if nothing else politically savy. The successor can talk about building on the strengths of the institution he inherited, on its past successes, on the important reforms which had been brought in, on the institution's excellent reputation and so on. You can congratulate and commend your predecessors for their hard work, rather than demean them either overtly or implicitly by pointing out how bad things had become under them and how hard they made it for you to get things back on track.

Unlike what some of you may think, I do not "hate" Obama. I think he is intelligent, a gifted orator, has some good policies, and is well-intentioned in terms of doing what he thinks needs to be done. However, I find his style of debate, in terms of the types of messages he sends, annoying, self-indulgent, arrogant, and, worst of all, counter-productive. America finds itself deeply divided and I do not think the President's message is likely to bring people together.

9 comments:

  1. "I do not "hate" Obama."
    It seems obvious to me that you do.
    I wager you couldn't write a post with nothing but praise for what's good about him and his administration.

    (Thanks for the 'welcome back.')

    ReplyDelete
  2. America was bitterly divided under Bush over the Iraq War. Was that an indictment of Bush for failing to "reach out", or just an inevitable outcome of a controversial judgment call?

    Assuming you believe it is the latter, why should health care be any different?

    And how does it necessarily follow that just because Obama was supported by some white people, other white people's opposition is not racially motivated? It may not be the case that it is racially motivated, but neither is it obviously the case that it is not. You seem to be straining to defend the critics here.

    It is hard to avoid echoing past criticisms on this blog that you have a deeply weird aversion to President Obama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fakirs, I think you would have lost the wager already. In my comment of Tuesday June 23 "Iran What Now", I commended the President's decision to stay out of the Iranian election controversy. In my comment of April 20 "Good Decision President Obama", I commended the President't decision to not go to Durban II. And, to add to this, I think Obama's dismissal of the allegations by Carter and others that the current opposition is racially moticated is the smart and right thing for him to do.

    On a broader note, I do not "hate" people with whom I have disagreements. On the President in particular, I was incredibly impressed by him during the Democratic primaries.

    Some of my critical reactions come in response to what I believe were the irrational exuberance, unbalanced reporting, over the top love fest exhibited by the media and Obama's supporters. As a blogger and perhaps somewhat of a "contrarian", it would be natural for me to be drawn to the other side of the equation. That is not a full explanation of my "deeply weird aversion to President Obama", but may partially go to explain it.

    But I will continue to call it as I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have a question: among over-50 white conservative males, Sarah Palin is HUGELY popular (for whatever reason) - how does your heartwarming support for her make you a contrarian?

    Jonathon Meltzer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Passing agreement with Barack Obama's decision to stay out of Iran, and on one or two other decisions, is not the same thing at all as a whole blog-post with nothing but praise for Obama and his administration.

    Nor does your admission that you have a "deeply weird aversion" to Obama compel me to reconsider my opinion that you hate him. In fact, most people, I warrant, would consider your insistence on a distinction between aversion and hate to be hair-splitting.

    Furthermore, your statement that you "were" deeply impressed by him in the primaries merely lends credence to the idea that your admiration is a thing of the past.

    I have not lost my wager, and I will add to it: I wager that you have an attachment to a belief that you are a "nice" man who does not "hate" anybody.

    Believe and write whatever you please, Lewis, but that's why I'm not around here much. If I want to read constant Obama-slams, I can go to the National Post, which specializes in unbalanced reporting.

    One-sided is one-sided. I don't try to 'balance out' what other bloggers do on my own blogs. I write what I perceive to be the relevant facts of a matter - all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Polarization in Congress has actually been increasing steadily since the mid-1960s, though the evidence as to whether polarization has actually occurred among the electorate is mixed. Whether or not polarization increases even more significantly under Obama remains to be seen, but more on the topic can be found by the political scientists who first came up with the polarization measure here: http://voteview.com/Polarized_America.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I see I erred, Lewis. You didn't admit to an aversion to Obama, you were accused of it. Sorry about that. As recompense: let me make you a sporting wager: if you write an entire blog-post with nothing but praise for Obama administration policies and for Obama himself, then I will do a similar one on the executive administration at a local public college - which would be very difficult for me. (I draw the line at doing the like on my current blog-interest - al Qaeda.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be entirely cynical (and unhelpful), it seems to me that deep set partisan division is a cherished and inherent part of the US political system. It is deeply confusing to me, looking at it from the outside, but witnessing the glee with which both sides pound on one another, it doesn’t actually appear that there is any commitment from anyone to change this. I get where you’re coming from with Obama’s condemnation of the ‘old way’ being counterproductive, but I’m not convinced that any amount of conciliatory language on his part would actually be capable of reshaping the USian political landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why should Obama be conciliatory to the errant Bush Administration when the actions of that Administration has caused the international reputation of America disrepute?

    Seems that you're OK with Obama as long as he is fawning, obsequious and subservient. I believe that there is a term for that.

    ReplyDelete