Thursday, September 24, 2009

With Friends Like These

So, President Hugo Chavez thinks that the podium at the United Nations "doesn't smell like sulphur" now that the devil George Bush is not President of the United States. It "smells of hope".

Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi also has high praise for President Obama wishing that he could stay as President of the United States "forever".

Now I cannot lay blame on President Obama if foreign tyrants admire him. After all, the President is widely liked and respected by all sorts of people. I do not know if the President feels some discomfort over the fact that sworn enemies of the United States are attracted to him, almost as if he personally stands apart from the county and the citizenry who elected him and who he represents. I will not question the motives of Chavez, Gaddafi, Ahmadenijad and others who effusively praise Obama, knowing perhaps that this praise cannot much help the President's standing with his own fellow countrymen. Perhaps the President himself has somewhat encouraged their devotion by so frequently publicly acknowledging how much has to be done to repair the United State's image abroad and to restore its credibility and honour. But I will not speculate as to that.

I would hope, however, then when world "leaders" of the calibre of Chavez and Gaddafi insult a past President and by implication the country that twice voted him into office, Obama will stand up and shout:

"Enough. I do not want your support and praise. I resent your condemnation of my country and those leaders who have led it before me. How dare you malign my country and my predecessor, as you do. In wishing that I become President for life, you better be careful for what you wish, because I am no friend of yours".

I would like to hear that speech, and in case I have missed it, I am glad that it was made.

4 comments:

  1. Glen Beck called ... he wants his blog back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt that there is much Obama can do when he is being praised by unsavoury characters, and responding to it will only provide these fools with the attention they so desperately crave. Why does Obama need to put his objections to these 'endorsements' on the record? Would we expect the same if the President happened to have a different (non-Muslim) name?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Besides, he had better things to do today ... like forming a united front of Western leaders against Iran. I would have thought you would have considered this to be a good thing. But then again, this would require you to acknowledge that perhaps, just perhaps, Barack Obama is not the screw-up you seem determined to view him as.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Obama did make such a speech, don’t you think it would have the effect of causing more people to believe that he isn’t doing enough to distance himself from the Bush administration? I certainly don’t envy Obama the catch-22 situation he seems doomed to forever be stuck in here.

    ReplyDelete