Friday, November 12, 2010

All Quiet On the Southern Front

I have been spending a few days down in Arizona, which is quickly becoming Canada's 11th province. It soon should have more Canadians than P.E.I. Things pretty quiet here - post-election let down, I guess. Economy seems truly to be in the doldrums, and you can see it everywhere. I just read for example in my homeowner's newsletter that the massive hotel complex/resort and adjacent golf course up the hill from our little place is on the auction block, its owner toying with bankruptcy. My little Newsletter also informs me that there is an approximately 20% delinquency rate in the payment of home owners association fees. This usually means higher fees for those who are still paying with fewer services. Which leads to more delinquencies, which leads to higher fees, which leads to more delinquencies.. you get the picture.

But it is beautiful here. Sunny, warm, bright, and relaxing.. a weekend break from home and work which is great.

On the political front, I am fascinated by Nancy Pelosi's stubborn refusal to give up her House leadership post. Her party took a drubbing in her House of Representatives. She is a polarizing figure. There are many in her own party who want her to step aside. She is feeding into the narrative that Washington will simply not change. So why does she stay on? Ego. She thinks she is the "best" person to lead her party into 2012, and preserve the achievements of the last two years. Why she thinks this is beyond me. And the fact that she holds on at the clear expense of her party's interest and probably that of the President as well, explains politicians and their disconnect with reality. Confident, isn't she?

Oh well. I am going to do some pruning.

No comments:

Post a Comment